Human Canvas Trade Edition Book Description and Dimensions:
Human Canvas combines Wolfe’s world-famous photography with his exquisite painting to create a groundbreaking collection of body art.
What does it mean to be human? In Human Canvas, Art Wolfe uses his exceptional photography and his background in fine-art painting to transform skin into an abstract landscape. Inspired by the body-painting traditions of indigenous peoples Wolfe has photographed worldwide, and particularly those in Ethiopia and Papua New Guinea, Wolfe set out to present his own take on this art form and explore concepts of universal beauty. Through the use of lines, patterns, textures, and unusual points of view, Wolfe abstracts the human form and creates a unique and captivating look of the human body as art. The result is an energized expression of both artistic mastery and cultural impact.
Over his expansive career, Wolfe has traveled to every continent. He has ventured from 19,000-foot heights on Mount Everest to the Danakil Depression in Ethiopia, 410 feet below sea level, as well as deep into sacred lands on the Tibetan Plateau, the Indian subcontinent, and the desert Southwest. He has visited indigenous tribes deep in the Amazon rainforest, high in the Baliem Valley in Western New Guinea, and in Ethiopia’s arid Omo River valley. Each new group of people he connected with showed him that, despite our cultural differences, inside we’re all just human. Through this fearless effort by a photographer uniquely qualified by study and life experiences in the cultural and artistic worlds, Wolfe manages to universalize the concept of human beyond race, gender, politics, or any other differentiating feature.
- Hardcover: 204 pages
- Publisher: Earth Aware Editions (November 5, 2019)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 168383819X
- ISBN-13: 978-1683838197
- Product Dimensions: 12 x 12 inches
- Print Option: Karo warriors, Omo River Valley, Ethiopia, approx. 8×10″, embedded signature & suitable for framing
Human Canvas Collector’s Edition Book Description and Dimensions:
The Human Canvas collector’s edition book is an elevated new work from artist Art Wolfe. The beauty of nature’s creation of the human form together with an artist’s expression of graphic elements drawn from 30 years of photographing nature and cultures throughout the world. Printed in a limited edition of 750 copies, each book is signed and numbered by the artist and presented in a custom silk-wrapped clamshell.
- Extent: 104 pages + endsheets + hardcover case + head- and tail-bands + slipcase
- Trim size: 15″ wide by 13″ high, landscape format
- Interior printing: Prints 5/5 color (sepiana) + varnish
- Paper: 200gsm OJI Prince matte art
- Hardcover case: Silk wrapped, stamping on front and spine
- Endsheets: 120gsm uncoated specialty
- Slipcase: Clamshell, silk wrapped, stamping on front and spine
- Images: 86 color images
- All copies individually boxed